Monday 12 August 2013

What is Happiness for me ?

People often use this word - Happiness in all kinds of contexts..to me -the means or the ways to be happy is more important than the end...at the end of each day I rate it a happy day when I start a creative process(today it is my writing,the last few days it was learning/mastery of singing my favorite song,on other days it is experimenting a new recipe,designing a pencil case for my daughter,prior to that setting up our house (BTW it's our the 11th move in 13 years) and I take it to its completion.

Sometimes it's just the chance to sit,relax and do nothing but admire nature - a splendid sunset,of waves rising and falling in the beach,the rustle of dry leaves,the smell of rain(just recently I learnt that it was a type of bacteria that caused it quashing my romantic heart),a full moon adorning the night sky...(lucky for my hubby who doesn't 've to spend much to make me happy!)
On other days its a chat,a message,a hearty conversation or catching up with a long lost friend or family member whom we leave behind in our hectic journey called life..and on another day it was the nice dinner my husband made when I was sick & lying and reading a book after a long time...

Happiness is also my squeals of excitement and victory dance seeing my 2.5 year old give up his precious milk bottles for cups,his nappies for the potty,it is also pride when my daughter comes up with a board game(which she devised,colored and made herself)...at times it is just looking at my niece's baby's innocent pictures of yawning,sleeping,smiling...oh there's lots...

Have you seen the meaning of being happy in kid's dictionaries ? - it doesn't take much at all - playing in the sand,splashing water,running wildly in an open space,getting paint on their face,feet and hands,going high on the swing and just seeing and playing with other kids...it's adults who mistakenly tend to pair happiness with goals,expectations,end results and numbers and often get the equations wrong!
There might be days when I don't get even one event checked from all the above but I keep these lists in my mind (& now I've written them down too) - they do help me to tide over those mental  cobwebs and sad droughts!

So what if you missed the morning train(because you slept a bit late because of the wonderful movie you watched late into the night),the house looked a bit like a dump yard(after all those those creative pursuits),forgot to turn off the hose pipe(because I was carried away with the little tomato plants that sprouted),the neighbors might 've gone a bit deaf(due to my serial killing of the song I was practicing),the kids are looking a bit messy & needing attention(because I'm trying  to complete this post :)..- all that matters is you have fun with whatever you set out to do and  just enjoy the ride...:)

Remember Life's not a checklist and Happiness is not a Destination - its the process and not the goal :)

4 comments:

  1. Being happy means you’ve decided to look beyond the imperfections. - Chicago Karamanies (Bean)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anuj & that's true cos perfection and happiness don't pair well!

      Delete
  2. I'm little past being a kid myself, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy doing little ordinary little kid stuff like running about the garden in my grandma's house, or imagining up weird and crazy stories in my head. Why are we so confused about things we know would give us a sense of contentment? I would just love to lie under a tree and close my eyes and think about all the stories i've read, but I find that I scold myself often for thinking childishly. Is this the tragedy of growing up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Malavika for your perceptive reply.Yes many adults lose track of the important stuff as they grow older.The trick is keeping alive our inborn sense of exploring,discovering and feeling joy with the simple stuff as the years add up:)

      Delete